Join us on our travels around Europe aboard our Dutch Tjalk Francoise

  • Jill Budd

    After 6 years aboard our Narrowboat Matilda Rose in the UK, we took the plunge and shipped her across to Europe. After 2 years in Europe we knew we didn't want to return to the UK so took the plunge and purchased a 1902 20 mtr Dutch Tjalk called Francoise and are now continuing our travels of the waterways of Europe in a buxom wench

  • January 2014
    M T W T F S S
  • Meta

International Certificate for operator of Pleasure Craft

Posted by contentedsouls on 16/01/2014

The ICC as it is known is the licence needed to operate a UK registered pleasure craft upto 20mtrs in length throughout Europe (excluding Germany where the ICC is only recognised for vessels upto 15mtrs). The RYA are the recognised issuers of the ICC in the UK.

So what is needed to obtain an ICC:

1. An Inland Waterways Helmsman’s Certificate, this can be achieved in 1 of 3 ways:

a) Complete a recognised inland waterways course held at an RYA  recognised training establishment. Cost £100 approx

b) Complete  a course held on your own boat with a licensed RYA Instructor, this can be for up to 3 people and the days course costs in the region of £300.

c) Go to an RYA approved test centre and take a handling test, cost is approx £60. Be aware that you can fail doing it this way.

2. Taking and Passing the CEVNI exam ( Code Europeen des Voies de la Navigation interieure), which can be taken as an online multiple choice test for the princely sum of £18.

Put the two together and you get to apply for your ICC, which if you are a member of the RYA is Free, to a non member it will cost you £43.

It’s all about jobs for the boys and as a boater you should be used to throwing money into a project!

6 Responses to “International Certificate for operator of Pleasure Craft”

  1. Karl said

    Sorry if I’ve missed it, but how are you getting the narrowboat to France?


  2. Brian said

    We did our CEVNI and ICC with Di and Tam Durrell on his boat Friesland in France


  3. Brian said

    3 days on their boat in France, the other couple cancelled so we had the boat to ourselves and did a lot of locking and barge driving as well. I can’t remember the cost, we treated it more as a holiday, but got the certificates at the end.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Itchy Feet

Real time travel tips from a duo travelling Europe by motorhome

Alex Grehy Fiction

Playing with words....

Indigo Dreaming

The journeys of the Narrowboat Indigo Dream

Aurigny Aperos

…"I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference."


Join us on our travels around Europe aboard our Dutch Tjalk Francoise


Never grow up, Grown-ups are boring!

Avalon Abroad

Exploring Europe on W B Avalon

M. B. Willow

Life afloat on the 1935 ex-Severn and Canal Carrying Co. motor, Willow

%d bloggers like this: